Chris

Although generally less popular nowadays, microbatch-under-oil has great
advantages for anaerobic work.  You can keep your stock solutions in the
chamber all the time, so you only need to degas your protein. Microbatch
finds roughly as many crystals in screening experiments as vapor
diffusion (summary at http://www.douglas.co.uk/mbnvdall.htm ).  Of
course the oil helps to protect the protein too - generally less is
denatured on the surface

For an automatic setup that fits in an anaerobic chamber conveniently
see the winning entry in Douglas Instrument's competition (2006), from
the University of Georgia, Athens
http://www.douglas.co.uk/presentations/winner2_files/v3_document.htm

Hope that's useful

Patrick

--
For information and discussion about protein crystallization and
automation, please join

 patr...@douglas.co.uk    Douglas Instruments Ltd.
 DouglasHouse, EastGarston, Hungerford, Berkshire, RG177HD, UK
 Directors: Peter Baldock, Patrick Shaw Stewart
 http://www.douglas.co.uk/
 Tel: 44 (0) 148-864-9090    US toll-free 1-877-225-2034
 Regd. England 2177994, VAT Reg. GB 480 7371 36