On Tuesday 15 September 2009, Ian Tickle wrote:
> Yes, obviously it doesn't provide full equation formatting capabilities,
> as in LaTeX for example, but at least one can type or paste in equations
> containing for example the Greek 'sigma' character (upper or lower case
> of course) or the 'square root' symbol instead of having to spell them
> all out!  For obvious reasons I'm unable to demonstrate non-ASCII text!

Why do you say that?
Typing non-ascii text is the same process whether it's wrapped in HTML or not.
Here's your sigma: ∑

In fact, your message complaining about non-ASCII text is itself using
in a non-ascii character set. Here is the header from the message you sent:

I seriously suggest to use UTF8 instead, since you've already crossed the
Rubicon :-)

> The Wikipedia article on MIME (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIME) that I
> quoted earlier says:
>
> "The basic Internet e-mail transmission protocol, SMTP, supports only
> 7-bit ASCII characters (see also 8BITMIME).  This effectively limits
> Internet e-mail to messages which, when transmitted, include only the
> characters sufficient for writing a small number of languages, primarily
> English.  Other languages based on the Latin alphabet typically include
> diacritics not supported in 7-bit ASCII, meaning text in these languages
> cannot be correctly represented in basic e-mail.  MIME defines
> mechanisms for sending other kinds of information in e-mail.  These
> include text in languages other than English using character encodings
> other than ASCII, ...".

This article is seriously out of date.  Most mail transport now handles
8 bit characters just fine.  Actually it does say that in the last sentence
you quote.