Hi Jason,

I just replied to very similar question to someone in person.

Your options are:

- all about SA omit maps and more:
http://www.phenix-online.org/documentation/autobuild.htm
ask Tom Terwilliger should you have any questions.

- also, a good thing to check (the best actually; this option is available):
Acta Cryst. (2008). D64, 515-524
Iterative-build OMIT maps: map improvement by iterative model building and refinement without model bias

- You can use Average Kick Maps (see above slides) with the region in question omitted. This is available in phenix.refine. Some details about kick maps are in the slide #20:
http://cci.lbl.gov/~afonine/rsr/afonine_05OCT2009_.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions or/and need any help.

Cheers,
Pavel.