We've had good luck (sometimes) searching for nucleic acids
with multiple small pieces - say ask it to find several 5bp
chunks of DNA rather than one 20bp duplex.  I think Bill
Scott will agree?
I have a hunch that searching for the protein 1st, at least
at "modest" resolutions, may confuse the software because
the DNA is denser.
Of course, every case has its own idiosyncracies.
  Phoebe