Hi Wulf,

For your waters that move slightly out of the centre of density I think SHELX
FAQ #27 would apply:

Q27: Some Waters are moving away from the centre of density toward the corner
of the density.
What is going on ?

George: We have sometimes seen atoms move to the edge of density in a high
resolution refinement. We attribute this to (a) Fourier series termination
errors because of missing reflections (including Rfree reflections), and (b)
the weights for refinement are of necessity different to those used to make a
Fourier map (which theoretically requires unit weights). In either case these
refined positions are the 'correct' ones, the map is misleading. However
anti-bumping (BUMP) and other geometric restraints can also move atoms out of
density, in this case you need to check whether you need to include partial
occupancies. BUMP is not applied if the occupancy sum is less than 1.1.

I have in the past been comforted by this statement by George...
You can also try the SHELXWAT module.

Cheers,

Martin

.
Martin Hallberg, PhD
Department of Cell and Molecular Biology
Karolinska Institutet
Stockholm
Sweden
http://tinyurl.com/yzn9y5j