From: CCP4 bulletin board on behalf of George M. Sheldrick
Sent: Sat 11/14/2009 4:08 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] video that explains, very simply, what Structural
Molecular Biology is about

Apologies for the typo, I meant to say 'Bernhard'.
George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,
Tammannstr. 4,
D37077 Goettingen, Germany
Tel. +49-551-39-3021 or -3068
Fax. +49-551-39-22582

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009, George M. Sheldrick wrote:

I also think that it is a very nice video and I will certainly be showing
it to my students (and relatives). However the little step between
recording the X-ray reflections and getting a final refined map might be
expanded a little. That is after all what CCP4 etc. is about! Otherwise,
despite the suggestion in the film that an expert should be consulted, we
are reinforcing the view held by many biologists and chemists that crystal
structure determination is a routine analytical method and not suitable
for an academic career. It worries me that in a couple of decades there
will be few people still active who really understand how it works. On
the other hand, Berhard's impressive new book may solve that problem (if
people still read books).

George

Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,
Tammannstr. 4,
D37077 Goettingen, Germany
Tel. +49-551-39-3021 or -3068
Fax. +49-551-39-22582

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7084929825683486794&ei=M3b5SvXqD6em2AK3jY33CQ&q=Plongee+coeur+vivant#

> > > This is the French version (explains everything about Structural
> > > Molecular Biology, but for the maths :-( , but also shows what we
> > > crystallographers have known for a long time, since the first colour E&S
> > > graphics workstations in fact, that the electron are blue :-) ).
> > >
> > > Both French and English versions can be downloaded from
> > >
> > > http://cj.sauter.free.fr/xtal/Film/
> > >
> > > No rights associated with the movie, and the Strasbourg group intends to
> > > release a higher quality version on DVD soon. Please contact them about
> > > that... I am only sharing what I thought was good for educational
> > > purposes. 18 minutes of your life, but worth it I think. So feel free to
> > > share this.
> > >
> > > Wish you all a nice day,
> > >
> > > Fred.
> > >

> Hi:
> Could someone point out the name and where to get these crystallization
> plates used in the video?
> By the way, this is a wonderful video.
> Subbu

Dear Subbu and dear xtal lovers,

the fancy plates used in the video are Nextal EasyXtal plates which are now
sold by Qiagen.

Concerning the video (thank you Fred for you kind advertisement!), the final
version (English/French) will be available in DVD very soon, as well as divx
and flash formats, we are working hard to get them ready by Christmas. This
material will be released under the Creative Commons licence to make it easily
accessible for all kind of education / teaching purposes.

I'll keep you informed as soon as the final version is ready.

Claude

--
Dr Claude Sauter
Institut de Biologie Moléculaire et Cellulaire (IBMC-ARN-CNRS)