Hi Damian,

I have used both Coot and Refmac for glycan modelling/refinement in the past,
last time was 2 or 3 years ago. They both behaved correctly for me.

To get the correct behaviour, you must have the correct LINK cards in the
header. At the time, the Chemical ID BMA did not exist in the PDB. There was
only MAN. Presumably, the PDB had originally decided that the saccahride
linkage is a bit like the peptide bond, where it can be one sort or another, so
you have to specify it explicitly. But convenience, or avoiding confusion, must
have been the reason for the recent creation of BMA. If Coot/Refmac do not have
it in their library, well you can add it easily into the correct folder on your
disk, by editing the MAN-b-D.cif entry and calling it BMA.cif. Garib told me,
when I was grappling with this problem, that Refmac works out from the
coordinates which form of the saccahride linkage it is and imposes the correct
restraints. Admittedly, there must be room for confusion if modelling is not
accurate enough. So BMA is better all round.

The branching of the glycan tree does have a good template in PDB entry 1LGB,
first deposited in 1994. It has been reviewed to include BMA earlier this year.
The branching pattern is correct, so care must be taken to enter the correct
numbers in the LINK cards if you are to reproduce a similar branching pattern
in your glycan. Incidentally, if you search the PDB for chemical id BMA, there
are apparently 36 entries. 1LGB was not among them, and I don't know why.

I hope this is useful. Good Luck.

Pierre Rizkallah

Dr. Pierre Rizkallah, Senior Lecturer in Structural Biology,
WHRI, School of Medicine, Cardiff University, Heath Park, CF14 4XN
email: rizkall...@cf.ac.uk     phone + 44 29 2074 2248
>>> Damian Ekiert <dceki...@scripps.edu> 22/12/09 5:46 PM >>>
For an "ideal" glycan, you could used a model from a high resolution
structure, or something that has been energy minimized, etc.  Mostly I
find this helps in getting the sugars in about the right place (keeping
bond lengths and angles reasonable).

I perhaps could stand to fiddle more and maybe I'll look through the
updated documentation.  Last I tried, the Asn-NAG1 linkage wasn't
enforced, with would allow the whole glycan to slide down into the
protein, or off into space.  I am typically building relatively small
glycans (2-5 residues) into ~3A data, so the density itself doesn't keep
things in place very well.

Regarding BMA vs MAN: When I have tried to used BMA in REFMAC, it
doesn't seem to recognize it and requires a library file.  But if you
use MAN, it adds a MODRES record to the header, enforcing beta-mannose
geometry.  Not sure if this is just a REFMAC version issue or what.

Best,

Damian