You know what, decarboxylation could be an issue. But that'll explain the
B-factors only for the side chains and some of the atoms in the ligand.

I don't see in what other orientation/conformation the ligand can fit the
density, not clash with itself or with the protein, lie on a 2-fold symmetry
axis, and have two enantiomers in each asymmetric unit. The atoms that don't
have density are terminal atoms. When the density is an average of four
different species on a symmetry axis, that some atoms of a 16 atom-ligand
stick out of density is frustrating but not entirely surprising, I think.
What do you all think?

The protein was co-crystallized with a racemic mixture of the ligand and I
haven't been able to find any evidence that one binds better than the other,
or one binds exclusively, not the other.