Apologies for bringing back an old thread, but I recently returned home to my dear copy of the ITC vol. B, and decided to double-check that my "personal" list of origin shifts matches the one found in there. To my surprise, there seems to be at least one real difference: C2

The "allowed origins" listed in my copy (1999 edition) for C2 are:
(0,y,0)
(0,y,1/2)

However, if I take a random bunch of atoms:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/pickup/C2_origin_ref.pdb
which has unit cell a=50 b=70 c=123 beta=123

and move all these atoms by a fractional shift: 0.5 0 0.5

I get a new PDB file:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/~jamesh/pickup/C2_origin_shifted.pdb

which, upon calculating structure factors with SFALL, gives the same Fs as the "ref" pdb file above. Albeit with different phases.

Now, (1/2,y,1/2) is not an "allowed origin", but could it be an allowed origin shift?

-James Holton
MAD Scientist

George M. Sheldrick wrote:
Dear Ian,

Although these tables are indeed very useful, on closer perusal I have
found a typo in my edition (which appears to be the same as yours but
slightly different to the on-line edition) - in the 3rd column of table 2.2.3.2, "P6" should obviously have a bar over the "6", though this is unlikely to cause problems for most readers of CCP4bb. Less satisfactory from our point of view is that R3 and R32 are only given for the primitive rhombohedral setting, not for the hexagonal cell with three times the volume (H3 or H32) that protein crystallographers seem to prefer.

Best wishes, George
Prof. George M. Sheldrick FRS
Dept. Structural Chemistry,
University of Goettingen,