Dear Crystallographic Community,

Dr. Holton made a comment today that got me thinking on the issue of modeling. This has been a hotly debated topic in our own lab but I would like to hear the current opinions of the community as a whole. It is a question of two parts.

First, what do you think about modeling into regions of poor density? Do you (A) model something in as best you can while conforming to ideal geometry/chemistry with full disclosure about b-factors in the region, (B) reduce the occupancies of the poorly modeled loops/side chains, or (C) truncate your model, removing loops and side chains from the model at the cost of statistical numbers? From a crystallographers point of view we can assess the quality of the model and make informed decisions as to what conclusions to draw, however most of the greater scientific community has no way to judge this. They do not know what a b-factor is or where to look for an occupancy. Are we doing a disservice to science by emphasizing the minimization of Rwork and Rfree over full disclosure of what we can legitimately see?

Secondly, on a similar vein, what is the community's opinion on modeling hydrogens? I have read a lot on the subject and can see both sides of the argument. From a crystallographer's point of view these are very helpful in maintaining geometry and ensuring the model makes chemical sense. I can also see the necessity of submitting them to the pdb so that the statistics can be recreated. On the other hand most biologist has no comprehension of the concept of riding hydrogens. They assume that if the hydrogen is in the pdb, that the crystallographer saw it and use that information to develop experiments.

I realize that I may be kicking a hornet nest here but I would genuinely like to know what people think.

Thanks,

Katherine Sippel

SIPPEL,KATHERINE H
Ph. D. candidate