From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of
Patrick Loll
Sent: Monday, April 19, 2010 2:40 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: [ccp4bb] chiral volumes--2nd try

Sorry, the original post looks garbled (mirroring my internal state,
no doubt).  I'm trying again, sending as plain text:

Friends,

A question about the definition of chiral volumes:

I'm looking for the definition of the SIGN of a chiral volume. The
only ccp4 reference I can find (readily) is this:

        http://www.ysbl.york.ac.uk/~garib/refmac/docs/theory/chiral.html

This page gives an algorithm for determining the sign, which I
paraphrase here:

*  Call the central (chiral) carbon a, and its three non-hydrogen
substituents b, c, and d.
*  Arrange things so that as you look from b to c to d, your eye is
moving clockwise.
*  If atom a is below the plane formed by b, c, & d, then the chiral
volume is positive (otherwise negative)

Clear enough.  However, when I start to apply this rule to basically
every library I have ever used, I get the opposite result.  Try it,
for example, with the ALA.cif file distributed with ccp4:

_chem_comp_chir.comp_id
_chem_comp_chir.id
_chem_comp_chir.atom_id_centre
_chem_comp_chir.atom_id_1
_chem_comp_chir.atom_id_2
_chem_comp_chir.atom_id_3
_chem_comp_chir.volume_sign
  ALA      chir_01  CA     N      CB     C         negativ

Assigning "a" as the centre atom and atoms "b-d" as numbers 1-3, when
I apply the rule from the refmac page I get a positive chiral volume,
not the negative one found in the cif file. Ditto for every other
example that I have tried.

Am I mis-reading what is meant by "above" and "below"?  I'm assuming
that if atoms b, c, and d all lie in a vertical plane, and you are
facing that plane, then "below" means on the far side of that plane
and "above" means between you and the plane.

When I use the definition V1 * (V2 x V3), where V1 is vector FROM
chiral atom to 1st substituent (e.g., CA to N in alanine example
above), V2 = vector from chiral atom to 2nd substituent, etc., then I
get the expected sign for the chiral volume.

So is the refmac page wrong, or am I falling prey to some roaringly
obvious stupidity?

Having a rough Monday--starting to question my sanity.

Thanks,

Pat

ps It appears that the term "_chem_comp_chir.volume_sign" is not
defined in either the core or mmCIF dictionaries. Can this be right?

Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497