A crude purification prior loading the metal-chelating column (like ion exchange chromatography) can help and speed up the binding to the column (remark not specific to Fos-cholin). Fos-choline is, contrary to popular belief, a quite harsh detergent and this may affect the purification yield and integriry of the protein.
HTH
Daniel