Hi Matt,

Have you tried changing the pH? Is it possible that at pH 8 you are at
the pI of your protein (i.e. where it has zero net charge and is at
its least soluble) ?

I have also read a paper (can't find the reference right now) where
the authors precipitated their protein by dialysing into water, and
then aliquoted the suspended precipitate (suitable amounts to allow
concentration measurement by OD280 - if you've got a nanodrop or
similar, you only need a few ul).
The precipitate was pelleted by centrifugation, and the water was
removed. A series of different buffer types / salt types / strengths
were added to each aliquot to resolubilise the protein. The tubes were
briefly vortexed and left at room temp for 30mins(?) any remaining
precipitate was pelleted again, and the OD280 of the supernatant
measured.

The buffer with the highest OD in solution allowed them to reach
higher concentrations of protein for crystal screening.

Hope this makes sense - contact me if you need more info,

Dave

============================
David C. Briggs PhD
Father, Structural Biologist and Sceptic
University of Manchester E-mail:
david.c.bri...@manchester.ac.uk
http://manchester.academia.edu/DavidBriggs (v.sensible)
http://xtaldave.wordpress.com/ (sensible)