Hi All,

I have a question for those of you familiar with the TLSMD webserver. I am
working on a structure with slightly imperfect 3-fold rotational NCS. My most
recent .pdb file has been generated using Refmac (followed by a little
tinkering in Coot), and during refinement I have been imposing medium main
chain and loose side chain NCS restraints, and my R-factors don't really
improve if I loosen the restraints further. This is the .pdb file I've also
used an input to TLSMD.

The results of TLSMD do show that the residuals appear to slowly plateau when
breaking the chains into 19 or 20 groups (all three A,B,C seem to converge
similarly). When I look at the alignments, the TLS groups created for each
chain do not align with each other well. The alignment of groups gets slightly
better as more groups are added, which is partially just an issue of the groups
being smaller and looking closer I think, but there is still significant
stagger between neighboring groups. Is this typical for a structure with
NCS-related chains? It seems somewhat counterintuitive to my understanding of
how symmetric proteins should work (if the TLS motions reflect actual motions
of the molecule). Perhaps the difference in TLS grouping between chains results
from differences in Biso for NCS-related atoms that result from crystal
packing? Maybe someone can shed some light on the situation?

Thanks a lot,

Mike Thompson

--
Michael C. Thompson

Graduate Student

Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Division

Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry

University of California, Los Angeles

mi...@chem.ucla.edu