Dear Pavel,

     Yes, I may indeed have been focussed too much attention on your
"subversive"-looking last paragraph, without fully seeing it in the context
of the whole thread. I am also sorry that I was so strident in my criticism:
I should not be writing e-mails on this topic late on a Friday night :-)) .

     Have a nice weekend.

            Gerard.

--
On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 03:48:03PM -0700, Pavel Afonine wrote:
>  Dear Gerard,
>
> I guess you simply did not understand my email, at all. It's in the
> archive, you may read it again -:)
>
> All the best!
> Pavel.
>
> P.S. Are you saying people producing (nearly manually) first macromolecular
> structures BEFORE the era of cool refinement packages were all doing
> "2hr0"s ? I would stay away from such a strong statements.
>

> On 8/27/10 3:35 PM, Gerard Bricogne wrote:
>> Dear Pavel,
>>
>>       I must say that I find some of the statements in your message rather
>> glib and shallow, especially on the part of a developer. Where is all the
>> Bayesian wisdom that Phenix is advertised to have absorbed? Your last
>> paragraph is shocking in this respect. The whole idea of Bayesian
>> inference
>> is precisely that it isn't good enough to pull out of a hat, by means of a
>> trick/blackbox, "a" model that corresponds to the data, but that one needs
>> to see how many models would do fare more or less as well and to give some
>> rough probability distribution over them; and if your are going to finally
>> deliver a single model, it had better be as representative as possible of
>> that weighted ensemble of possible ones, rather than just "a" model that
>> happens to have been persuaded to fit the data by hook or by crook.
>>
>>       Closer to practicalities, the procedure by which a model that ends
>> up
>> being deposited should be reproducible by third parties as the endpoint of
>> refinement calculation from the deposited coordinates and X-ray data,
>> conducted according to the author's description of their own refinement
>> procedure. That procedure, however, should always end with a justifiable
>> purely computational step. It seems very dangerous to state that a model
>> in
>> which some manual moving around of atoms was given the last word is as
>> good
>> as anything else. If you start encouraging such casual attitudes, you may
>> end up with 2hr0.
>>

>>       With best wishes,
>>
>>            Gerard.
>>
>> --
>> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 02:02:48PM -0700, Pavel Afonine wrote:
>>>   Hello,

>>> I completely agree with Ethan. Although the overall goal of refining
>>> B-factors only for a subset of atoms is not clear (there are at least
>>> three
>>> example where I do it in phenix.refine - I won't go into technicalities
>>> here, it's hidden under the hood and no-one knows -:) ), doing so makes
>>> perfect sense in general.

>>> Of course you would. Refinement - in whatever space - is just a
>>> trick/blackbox to get your model to correspond to the data, and how you
>>> do
>>> it: in real, reciprocal or both spaces, manually moving atoms or letting
>>> minimizer or grid search do that - it does not matter.

> [...]

     * Gerard Bricogne                     g...@globalphasing.com  *
     * Global Phasing Ltd.                                         *
     * Sheraton House, Castle Park         Tel: +44-(0)1223-353033 *
     * Cambridge CB3 0AX, UK               Fax: +44-(0)1223-366889 *