It's best to have dedicated NVIDIA (don't have much experience with ATI,
but it is my understanding that they may be more difficult to configire
sometimes).  However, Intel on-board graphics has gotten much better
recently (in fact, Intel releases drivers as open source (guess because
they are not big players in video cards).  I am not sure you'll actually
notice any difference between NVIDIA and Intel integrated, since coot is
not as demanding as the bleeding edge videogames for which high-speed
graphics matters.

I'd recommend to search various linux forums for information about the
laptop you are considering - if it's a fairly new model, there are often
issues you'll need to resolve to get it going.

Ed.

--
"I'd jump in myself, if I weren't so good at whistling."
                               Julian, King of Lemurs