On Tuesday 28 September 2010 10:27:17 am Francis E Reyes wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm interested in the scenario where crystals were screened at home
> and gave lousy (say < 8-10A) but when illuminated with synchrotron
> radiation gave reasonable diffraction ( > 3A) ? Why the discrepancy?

Such a happy outcome is very rare.

I normally expect the high intensity at a beamline to push the line
separating "weak but visible" and "too weak to see" towards higher
resolution usable data.  But that isn't a change in the diffracting
properties of the crystal, just a change in achievable signal-to-noise.

Two possibilities come to mind.

A) Unintentional annealing during transport/or and as a consequence of
   crystal handling after shipment.  We've certainly seen this, but
   usually the result is bad ice rings rather than better diffraction.

B) Home screening used a relatively large beam that saw the entirely
   of a highly imperfect crystal.  The synchrotron beam used a much
   smaller aperture that happened to illuminate only a sweet spot.
   This is one argument advanced for the use of micro-focus beams.

B') An extreme case of B.  Multiple crystals in the loop.
   Home screening caught a bad one; beamline screening caught a good one.

--
Ethan A Merritt
Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg