From: CCP4 bulletin board [ccp...@jiscmail.ac.uk] On Behalf Of Phil Evans
[...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 9:45 PM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Regarding space group P1, P21

It's more complicated than that, since the tricky thing is to distinguish
between reflections related eg by a putative crystallographic two-fold and by a
parallel non-crystallographic two-fold, which would give very similar intensity
relationships. Pointless does try to score these alternative models, but it is
not fool-proof.

In the end, the best test is probably comparing refinements in different space
groups (as is done by the Andrey Lebedev's Zanuda program, on the York
University server), though it seems to me that in the limit you can't tell: how
close does a non-crystallographic axis have to be to a crystal direction to be
crystallographic, 1degree, 0.1 degrees, 0.01degrees?

Phil Evans

(incidentally, the algorithms used in Pointless are described in a paper due to
appear in the Acta Cryst. D volume from the 2010 CCP4 Study Weekend, probably
early next year. But I don't really know how best to calculate the
probabilities)