Here's an ignorant question: When people express an exogenous tRNA in E coli
(to overcome rare codon issues, for example, or to supply a cognate tRNA for an
orthogonal synthetase), what sorts of promoters are used?

My (ignorant) guess is that something as potent as the T7 promoter might be a
waste, since you don't need huge quantities of your tRNA, and you probably
don't want to divert resources away from message production for your target
gene. But I could be wrong.

Any pointers to sequences that successfully direct tRNA production would be
welcome, so I could use them as design templates.

Thanks,

Pat
Patrick J. Loll, Ph. D.
Professor of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
Director, Biochemistry Graduate Program
Drexel University College of Medicine
Room 10-102 New College Building
245 N. 15th St., Mailstop 497