Hello Herman and others,

I am somewhat concerned after reading the following comment:

"In pymol there is the infamous carve option, which can be used to select
density for specific fragments and which can make bad density look good if you
carve very tightly around your fragment."

I have been using PyMol to generate figures of electron density by creating
.ccp4 format maps and displaying them in PyMol, using the option carve=1.6 as
recommended by the PyMol Wiki. After reading Herman's reply, I am concerned
that the figures I have been making don't accurately represent my density map.
I haven't really found any information about what the "carve" option is
actually doing. Can anyone comment on the proper way to display .ccp4 maps in
PyMol so that they accurately depict the map without "making bad density look
good" (or good density look bad for that matter)? Alternatively, is there a
better method for making figures of density that does not involve PyMol, or
eliminates any potential problems related to the carve option as Herman alluded
to?

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Mike Thompson