Leila Foroughi wrote:
I'm currently trying to compare single crystal X-ray data for a protein crystal
with previously published electron miscroscopy data. I would really like to be
able to take my electron density map (from X-ray) and view it as a 2D
projection of 3D space (essentially a contour map). The attached is an example
of the type of electron density map I'm trying to mimic. Does anyone have any
suggestions on what software I could use to do this?

Image Source: J Mol. Biol. (1975) 94, 425-440.

My, that looks familiar!

First, you need to calculate the projection map- this was discussed recently.
It is easy if you want a projection along a principal axis, but someone
reported a
program that will give the projection onto arbitrary planes.

Then as for plotting the contours, the CCP4 program is NPO.
The sections may have to be regular map sections though, not at arbitrary
angles.

eab

PS- in general, projection maps of proteins are not interpretable.
The bR just happens to have three or four helices nearly perpendicular to
the membrane.