Hi Eric -

I remember that the "neighbor atom" distances would dynamically update, and
even appear and disappear as your moving atom crosses the 3.2 A distance
threshold to another atom.  I don't remember if the regular "distance
define" distances would do the same; I think not.  I'm fairly sure that this
still works - the last time I used O was about six months ago, and the O
package I was using was from c. 2005.

More on-topic, Coot seems to have a "dynamic distance" command (look under
the "Measure" menu) which will do what you want.

Hope that helps,

Matt

--

Matthew Franklin, Ph. D.