Hi

Before people get carried away, it may be useful to mention that we are
discussing Lewis acids & bases here, not Brønsted (or Brønsted-Lowry) acids and
bases.

Simply put, Brønsted acids are electron pair acceptors whereas Lewis acids are
proton donors. Some (not all)  Lewis acids are also Brønsted acids.

On the other hand, Lewis bases (proton acceptor) are all Brønsted bases
(electron pair donor).

On 24 Feb 2011, at 23:28, Michael Thompson wrote:

> Jacob,
>
> Roger is correct, this concept does refer to the Pearson HSAB theory. To
> summarize: This theory is applicable outside of inorganic chemistry as well,
> but it is extremely useful for explaining coordination chemistry of
> metal-ligand complexes. The theory states that "hard" acids interact with
> "hard" bases and "soft" acids interact with "soft" bases to form a bond that
> is covalent-like in nature. "Hardness" vs. "softness" is based on the
> energetic properties of the HOMO and LUMO of the acid and base. Generally
> hard acids/bases have small atomic/ionic radii, low polarizability, and high
> electronegativity whereas "soft" acids/bases tend to have larger radii, high
> polarizability, and low electronegativity.
>
> Hard bases are things like carboxylates, whereas soft bases are things like
> thiolates. Ligands with nitrogen (imidazole) are often in the middle
> somewhere.
>
> Hard acids are ions like Na+, K+, Mg2+, etc., while soft acids are metals
> like mercury, silver, etc. Again, many biologically relevant things lie in
> the middle of the spectrum somewhere (Fe, Co, Zn).
>
> It is possible to calculate the "chemical hardness" of a species, but that's
> where my knowledge stops.
>
> Hope this is helpful,
>
> Mike

>>> C.H. Best Institute
>>> 112 College St. Room 70
>>> University of Toronto
>>> Toronto, Canada, M5G 1L6
>>> 416-978-4033
>>

> --
> Jacob Pearson Keller
> Northwestern University
> Medical Scientist Training Program
> cel: 773.608.9185
> email: j-kell...@northwestern.edu
>
> --
> Michael C. Thompson
>
> Graduate Student
>
> Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Division
>
> Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
>
> University of California, Los Angeles
>
> mi...@chem.ucla.edu

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre, Hills Road,
Cambridge, CB2 0QH