Dear Hua,

adding water as suggested by Jan Kern could also be accomplished in a more
sophisticated way by using dialysis buttons. They require large volumes, though,
5mul is the minimum as far as I know.

At the fancy end of this you could try the TOPAZ system by fluidigm.

At the ECM in Darmstadt one of the companies presented a cheap, plasitc based
version of this which looked quite appealing to me. Maybe it was the CrystalHarp
from Molecular Dimensions, but I am not sure.

Cheers, Tim

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 09:13:49PM -0500, Hua Yuan wrote:
> Dear CCP4 community members,
>
> I've been trying to crystallize a protein complex that's very sensitive to
> ionic strength, i.e., lower salt (~0.3M) will cause precipitation of the
> complex but higher salt (~0.5 M) breaks the complex apart.  The interaction
> that holds the complex is probably mainly ionic type.
> The crystals I got so far has only one component of the complex from which
> all the crystallization conditions have high salt such as 2M Ammonium
> Sulfate in them.  Besides repeatly screening many crystallization
> conditions, I was wondering whether is any way to work around this problem.
> Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> Hua

Tim Gruene
Institut fuer anorganische Chemie