Dear CCP4 members

I have a confusion with molecular replacement. I wish to solve a monomeric
protein in P21 where there are 2 monomers in asymmetric unit. I have a search
model that also has 2 monomers in asymmetric unit.

First I try using Phaser. I use only one chain of the monomer model and search
for 2 copies. This gives a good solution that refines with low R-factor but it
shows many clashes. In other words, the 2 monomers are too close together and
there are clashes where they meet. Then I try using Phaser and both chains of
the model and search for 1 copy. This does not give a solution and says
asymmetric unit is too full. Then I try using MolRep with the 2 chain search
model. It gives solution that looks better because you can see that the 2
monomers do not physically clash but it refines very badly giving R factors of
about 50%

So I am confused. What am I doing wrong? Please help me with suggestions
Many thanks
Careina