Dear Bryan,

As Mark van Raaij pointed out you have complete flexibility in specifying the images to be used in autoindexing or in cell refinement.

However, the default behaviour is to use the first image and a second image that is as close as possible to 90 degrees away for autoindexing, and for cell refinement a small wedge of data starting with the first image and a second small wedge as close as possible to 90 degrees away. In more recent versions, three or four wedges will be selected for cell refinement in low symmetry space groups (monoclinic / triclinic using images at 0, 90 and one or 2 wedges in between) as this gives better determined parameters.

The use of two images (or sets of images) well separated in phi (ideally 90 degrees) allows the most reliable determination of the cell parameters, especially for low symmetry space groups. In particular, for monoclinic or triclinic space groups, when using a single image it is possible to obtain an indexing solution that predicts that image very well but is in fact incorrect, and will not predict images far away in phi.

Best wishes,

Andrew