Contract: Contract/Project

Salary range: ? 35,000 and < 45,000EUR annual gross

Employer: Institut de Biologie Structurale de Grenoble

Workplace: Grenoble - FRANCE

Skill area: Biology, Medicine, Health - Physics

*Application deadline: 4/15/2011*

The Institut de Biologie Structurale (IBS), in Grenoble (France) is a research centre in a field that is essential for understanding fundamental biological mechanisms : STRUCTURAL BIOLOGY. IBS is also part of the Partnership for Structural Biology (PSB) whose primary objective is to study proteins of biomedical interest. The PSB constitutes a further step in the development of the region as an International centre of excellence for structural biology. The Partnership for Structural Biology include three pan-European institutes: the ESRF, the world's foremost synchrotron X-ray source, the ILL, a world centre for neutron scattering, the EMBL, the Grenoble Outstation of the European Molecular Biology Laboratory.

*
Mission: *

A two-year post-doctoral position is asked in an application for a grant funded by « Vaincre la Mucoviscidose » and the CV of a candidate must be added to the project. The candidate will be integrated in the « Heavy Metal and Signaling » team at the Institut de Biologie Structurale (IBS) de Grenoble (http://www.ibs.fr/groups/metalloproteins-group/heavy-metal-and-signaling/), close to ESRF, and will participate to a project that aims at addressing the mechanisms by which the P. aeruginosa FUR protein interacts with the first- and second-generation peptide inhibitors already identified by our partners. The proposed study will complete the picture of a fundamental physiological process that is relevant to virulence (iron metabolism) and assess its potential as a new target (iron regulation) for alternative therapeutics. We now need to improve our knowledge on the FUR-antiFUR inhibitor interactions and to obtain a third generation of inhibitors. Deciphering the structure-function relationships of protein/inhibitor complexes will help to design new antibacterial molecules as well as to get insights into the FUR protein mechanism. The candidate will focus on experiments related to biophysics of protein-inhibitor interactions such as determination of the thermodynamic parameters (Biacore technology available in the IBS) and determination of structures by X-Ray diffraction. The HMS group will provide the biochemistry support of the project and our collaborators will bring their experience in conception of FUR inhibitors as well as interaction studies by two-hybrid and/or molecular docking.

*
Candidates profile: *

Structural biology, crystallization, X-ray diffraction, structure determination, thermodynamics, SPR (Biacore). Candidates must have obtained their PhD since less than two years.

*Contact: *
Send CV and two letters of reference to: jacques.co...@ibs.fr