Dear all,

I would like to share my experiencde with a rather unexpected problem of indexing conventions. Perhaps I can save people some time....

I have a crystal in the more unusual P21212 space-group (No 18). Its unit cell lengths are b>a>c (please note). I systematically use XDS for data integration, since so far it was able to handle even the most horrible-looking spots.

Now XDS indexed my data in space-group 18, but with the axes order a<b<c! It had, in fact, "invented" a space-group P22121, which does not exist. I did not realise this until I had spent a couple of weeks with beautiful peaks in rotation functions, but hopeless results in translation functions. It wasn't until I looked more closely into the definition of the screw axes that I realised the problem.

POINTLESS does not allow a reindexing of reflexions within the same space-group, but fortunately REINDEX did the trick at the level of intensities, because I like to use SCALA for careful scaling of my data.

So, basically, beyond just warning people who might encounter similar problems, I was wo,dering if XDS could perhaps reindex reflexions according to Int. Table conventions once the screw axes of a crystal system have been identified?

With best wishes,

Anita

Anita Lewit-Bentley
Unité d'Immunologie Structurale
CNRS URA 2185
Département de Biologie Structurale & Chimie
Institut Pasteur
25 rue du Dr. Roux
75724 Paris cedex 15
FRANCE