We do adherent if we have a small volume of low titer virus, but as
soon as we have a decent titer we will start with a 30 ml suspension
flask.  Normally I add something like 0.5 ml, which is probably more
then I need.  We only use serum free media right now.  As I mentioned,
if you need to boost the titer of a low titer stock, we plate a t25
flask with Sf9s, take off the media, and incubate it in 1 ml of pure
virus (or two-fold diluted) for an hour or so, then remove (and save)
that virus stock and give the cells fresh media.

For fold dilution, just do a rough calculation of titer.  Once you are
at a high titer assume you  have 10^8-10^9 pfu/ml, so you can estimate
the ballpark volume to infect a given number of cells at an MOI of 1.
>From early stocks you might have a titer of 10^6-10^7 pfu/ml.  If you
do an amplification that doesn't work, decide if you were to high
(MOI=>10 not great for amplifying) or too low (MOI=<0.1) and try
again.  Better yet, just set up 3 amplifications at the same time,
whichever worked the best, use for another round of amplification, or
for infections.

For duration, we do 3 days amplification (post-infection), but
sometimes we let them go a few days longer, which allows a secondary
infection of the cells that weren't infected by the viral innoculum.
There doesn't seem to be any harm to letting infections go longer; at
some point all the cells die, but since the virus is pretty stable,
it's no problem.  We have a CEDEX cell counter which tells you average
cell diameter, which is a great read out for infection.  Also looking
and density and viability versus an uninfected control will tell you
if the infection worked.
Nat

Nat Clark
Graduate Student
Garman Lab
Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Dept.
UMass Amherst