Personally I think it is a _good_ thing that those missing atoms are a pain,
because it helps ensure you are aware of the problem.  As somebody who is in
the business of supplying non-structural people with models, and seeing how
those models are sometimes (mis)interpreted, I think it's better to inflict
that pain than it is to present a model that non-structural people are likely
to over-interpret.

The PDB provides various manipulated versions of crystal structures, such as
biological assemblies.  I don't think it would necessarily be a bad idea to
build missing atoms back into those sorts of processed files but for the main
deposited entry the best way to make sure the model is not abused is to leave
out atoms that can't be modeled accurately.

Just as an example since you mention surfaces, some of the people I work with
calculate solvent accessible surface areas of individual residues for purposes
such as engineering cysteines for chemical conjugation, and if residues are
modeled into bogus positions just to say all the atoms are there, software that
calculates per-residue SASA has to have a reliable way of knowing to ignore
those atoms when calculating the area of neighboring residues.  Ad hoc
solutions like putting very large values in the B column are not clear cut for
such a software program to interpret.  Leaving the atom out completely is
pretty unambiguous.

-Eric