Dear Ed,
Many thanks for this careful explanation, which I appreciate.

I realise in my own practise on such matters I have two situations :-

(i) where, albeit limited, electron density evidence, coupled with
chemical evidence, leads to an attempted model atomic fit but the B
factors there sky rocket.

(ii) there is no electron density evidence and even though the
chemical evidence is sound one can in fact add nothing. Here I simply
concede that there is nothing one can do. The issue here is not
whether to keep these atoms but simply you really cannot make a start
finding them.

Greetings,
John

--