Hello all,

Given a PDB file of a newly solved protein structure, what is the standard
procedure for assigning regions of secondary structure?  And by this I mean
to ask, how does one decide which residues form beta strands, which alpha
helices, and so on?  Is DSSP sufficient for this?  Are we supposed to
manually walk through the entire molecule and assign secondary structure as
we deem appropriate based on hydrogen bonding behaviour?  Some other
procedure?  And what of structures solved to ~2.7 A (or worse) where we
can't be sure of H-bonding.

Cheers,
Cale