Hi Frank,

sorry, my first response was not very specific for your situation!

I studied your list and graphs and would just like to point out that in "2.1 Testing Filesystem Performance" you may be severely overcommitting the CPU resources, if this was for one machine only with 16 (=8+8) cores. (but maybe your were really only interested in filesystem performance; we are generally happy with NFSv4 but haven't tried anything else)

If testing with one machine, I'd try for XDS
JOBS PROCESSORS
1   16
2    8
4    4
8    2
16   1
and then - if "4 4" was best, for example
5    4
6    4

We use several 48-core AMD machines (4*12-core 6176SE 2.3GHz CPUs), and we are happy with them for general work. We also use Intel (2*6-core X5670 2.93GHz Xeon, plus Hyperthreading) machines, which give a higher single-CPU performance, but of course 48 cores are nice in some situations (for XDS, e.g. 6 to 8 JOBS of 8 PROCESSORS each). OTOH more machines may mean more rack space, and more administration.

HTH,

Kay