Hi!

There is an immediate opening for a computationally-minded structural
biology post-doc in the Sliz Group at Harvard Medical School in Boston, MA
working in support of the SBGrid Consortium.

The SBGrid Consortium is a non-profit service center of Harvard Medical
School developed to support the computing needs of structural biology labs
across the world. The software distribution we support contains more than
225 scientific software applications for Linux and OS X and is integrated
into an easy to use shell environment. It is used by more than 1000
researchers in our 150+ member labs.

This sort of scientific software is mostly written by academics to scratch
their own itch, and it often comes as source code with little documentation
on how to build and configure it to do something useful[1]. The software is
written in a polyglot of languages (Fortran, C, C++, Python, Java, Perl,
Tcl/Tk and many sh/csh scripts) and built with any one of a number of
different build systems (autotools, cmake, scons, homebrew shell
scripts/makefiles, setuptools, etc).

The primary responsibilities of the position will be installing and
configuring structural biology software for use in the Consortium
laboratories as well as providing first level support for software users.
There may also be opportunities to work on our NSF-funded project to
develop grid portals for computationally demanding structural biology work
flows. The exact duties of the position will be dependent on your
qualifications.

The ideal candidate will have a background in structural biology and a
particular interest in the software, methods and computational requirements
of structural biology computing.  You should have some knowledge of Python
and shell scripting or a strong desire to learn.

Interested candidates should email a cover letter, CV, publications list,
and names and contact information for three references to Dr. Piotr Sliz.
<ps...@hkl.hms.harvard.edu>

-ben

[1] CCP4 being the obvious exception!

--
| Ben Eisenbraun
| SBGrid Consortium                          | http://sbgrid.org        |
| Harvard Medical School                     | http://hms.harvard.edu   |
| Einstein argued that there must be simplified explanations of nature, |
| because God is not capricious or arbitrary. No such faith comforts    |
| the software engineer.                          <Frederick P. Brooks> |