POSTDOCTORAL POSITION AVAILABLE

Applications are invited for a postdoctoral position to investigate the
structural and cellular biology of viral immune evasion tactics and assembly
mechanisms of Bunyaviruses, the largest family of negative-strand RNA viruses.
The family Bunyaviridae includes a number of emerging viruses of human and
agricultural importance and much remains to be discovered about their life
cycle and the mechanisms they use to subvert the innate immune system.
The following is an example of our recent work in this area:  James TW, et al.
(2011). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 108(6):2222-7.

A number of exciting projects are underway and ready to carry forward.  More
information about our lab can be found at:
http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~bmark/Welcome.html

We seek enthusiastic applicants who hold a PhD in biochemistry or related
field. Candidates must have a strong background in molecular biology and
protein X-ray crystallography. Expertise in mammalian cell culture and
fluorescence microscopy would be considered strong assets.

Our group is located in the Department of Microbiology, University of Manitoba,
Winnipeg, Canada. The laboratory includes state-of-the-art X-ray
instrumentation (Rigaku) and crystallization robotics (Art Robbins).  We have
routine access to the Canadian Light Source Synchrotron via mail-in service,
remote control of robotics, or in person (within driving distance).

The University of Manitoba (http://umanitoba.ca/) is the largest University in
the province (over 30,000 students, faculty, and staff) and hosts a dynamic
biomedical research community.  Winnipeg is a vibrant, multicultural city with
numerous cultural events, festivals and a brand new NHL hockey team
(http://www.destinationwinnipeg.ca/).  With over 110,000 fresh water lakes in
our province alone, there is also much to explore for those who love the
outdoors.

Salary will be in accordance with the Canadian Institutes of Health Research
(CIHR) (http://www.cihr.ca/ ) standards.  Fellowship funding is also available
through agencies such as the CIHR and the Manitoba Health Research Council
(MHRC) (http://www.mhrc.mb.ca/).

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.

Please direct formal and informal inquiries and CV's (including names of three
referees) to my email address:

brian_m...@umanitoba.ca

=========================
Brian Mark, MSc, PhD
Associate Professor
Manitoba Research Chair in Structural Biology
Department of Microbiology
& Department of Biochemistry and Medical Genetics

Mailing/Courier address:
Department of Microbiology
418 Buller Building
University of Manitoba