NMR people do collect NMR data beyond 40 deg C.  Many membrane protein
structures are determined at 55-60 deg .C (the membrane proteins may not
be very large but
in micelles -combined weight is large). When the protein is stable and
the 1H-15N-HSQC (fingerprint region) does not change with temp (meaning
temp has no effect on the protein), one can go higher temp.  Yes, it
certainly helps reducing line width and if you combine TROSY based
experiments, the resolution increases dramatically.

Smita Mohanty

>>> Roopa Thapar <rtha...@hwi.buffalo.edu> 7/1/2011 11:47 AM >>>
‘NMR people’ do use thermophilic proteins but I have never heard of
anyone boiling samples :)
By increasing temperature I meant going to around 37-40 deg C.

On 7/1/11 12:26 PM, "Jacob Keller" <j-kell...@fsm.northwestern.edu>
wrote:

>...they are stable enough that one can raise the temperature to
increase the correlation time.

I wonder whether NMR people have tried using hyperthermophile proteins
to be able to essentially boil the sample to decrease the rotational
correlation time constant? There is even an organism I read about in a
Science brevia paper whose peak doubling time is at autoclave
temperatures...

JPK