Hi everyone,

I have been issues with a particular protein. I have been close for a while,
but yet so far.

Rather than going from a clear drop to crystal, my protein first undergoes
phase separation (large oily drops) in which one phase contains most, if not
all, of the protein. This phase separation occurs within a day of preparing
the drop. A day after phase separation the oily phase is now a large
disordered crystalline mass which does not diffract very well. I have tried
changing buffer concentrations, precipitant amounts, ionic strengths and pH
and in all cases this phenomenon is observed. I even screened protein
concentrations to see if reducing protein concentration would prevent the
phase separation.

Is there any way to bypass this phase separation, which I think prevents me
from obtaining nice crystals. Should I try detergents, chaotropes, or other
additives?

Thanks in advance.

Timur

--