We have no problem with encryption on Windows 7 here at NIH

----- Original Message -----
From: Harry <ha...@mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk>
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK <CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Wed Aug 17 18:23:21 2011
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Computer encryption matters

Hi John

My Mac laptop has been encrypted according to MRC rules for several
years and has caused no problems. Windows or Linux may behave
differently, but I have no reason to think they might (until a
ccp4bber tells me differently)!

On 17 Aug 2011, at 20:13, Jrh wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> My institution is introducing concerted measures for improved
> security via encryption of files. A laudable plan in case of loss or
> theft of a computer with official files eg exams or student records
> type of information stored on it.
>
> Files, folders or a whole disk drive can be encrypted. Whilst I can
> target specific files, this could get messy and time consuming to
> target them and keep track of new to-be-encrypted files. It is
> tempting therefore to agree to complete encryption. However, as my
> laptop is my calculations' workbench, as well as office tasks, I am
> concerned that unexpected runtime errors may occur from encryption
> and there may be difficulties of transferability of data files to
> colleagues and students, and to eg PDB.
>
> Does anyone have experience of encryption? Are my anxieties
> misplaced? If not, will I need to plan to separate office files,
> which could then all be encrypted, from crystallographic data files/
> calculations, which could be left unencrypted. If separate treatment
> is the best plan does one need two computers once more, rather than
> the one laptop? A different solution would be to try to insist on an
> institutional repository keeping such files.
>
> In anticipation,
> Thankyou,
> John
> Prof John R Helliwell DSc

Harry
--
Dr Harry Powell, MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology, MRC Centre,
Hills Road, Cambridge, CB2 0QH