I had a similar problem with crystals that were obtained from PEG-based
precipitants over long periods of time. If I harvested the crystals in
about 5 days, they would diffract to ~3 Angstrom. If I let them grow any
time past about 7 days, they became PEG-alated and didn't diffract at
all. I personally have not had that happen in salt-based precipitant
conditions. I would try adding up to 10mM DTT or 5mM TCEP to minimize
proteinaceous skin formation, which I believed was crosslinked by the
PEG. Attempts to change PEG's did not work and I couldn't find a salt
based precipitant condition that would give us crystals where the active
site was not occluded by the salt.

BTW, have you purified the prep over SEC followed by IEX or RP columns?
Have you dissolved the gel and run mass spec to see if there is any
proteolysis going on? If you have an active proteolytic fragment, there
may be one or more hydrophobic patches being exposed and this could
cause the protein to gum up in order to bury those patches.

Anyway, good luck!

Bryan