I am almost sure this has been addressed before, so you can go after me
for insufficient googling.  However,

1.  Is there any *significant* advantage in using 64-bit CCP4 binaries
(primarily speed)?
2.  IIUC, the standard CCP4 download results in 32-bit binaries being
run on a 64-bit system.  Works for me (except for the weird iMosflm
issue), but given that 64-bit OS is becoming more and more common, isn't
it time for 64-bit binaries option?  The answer, of course, is no if you
answered no to 1 above.

And to make this post completely incomprehensible:

It seems I have compiled 64-bit version on Ubuntu 11.04 just fine, but
several examples fail, and all points to clipper libs.  Could this be
because I have clipper libs installed from ubuntu repositories and the
solution is to use --disable-clipper option when configuring?  I am
trying this now but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

--
"Hurry up before we all come back to our senses!"
                           Julian, King of Lemurs