Hi,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 10:52 AM, Hena Dutta <hdutt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sabuj,
>
> Can I use LED monitor instead LCD? I heard the color contrast is better. If

We haven't tried any, but here's an interesting 120 HZ LED monitor
(Acer HS244HQ):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009301&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Monitors+-+LCD+Flat+Panel-_-Acer+America-_-24009301

It comes with active 3D goggles, but it's noted that these only work
with the 3D sync signal built into Bluray movies which I think is
transmitted off the monitor. Now if this works like 3D DLP link stereo
then you don't necessarily need the 3D vision stereo kit/emitter at
all. In fact, we have an Infocus IN3116 projector that does 120Hz at
720p and a bunch of $50 DLP link goggles, a quadro 3700 video card in
the box, and can do stereo in Windows 7 and Linux using Option
"Stereo" "3" (standard quad buffered stereo). We use a cheap $2 DVI to
HDMI converter to connect a long HDMI cable into the projector from
the Quadro 3700 and that's it, no super long 3 pin mini din cable is
needed. The only downside is that sometimes the left and right eye
images are on the wrong sides when stereo is enabled, but most apps
(e.g. pymol, chimera, and coot too probably) have an option to swap
the eyes when in stereo so that's easily fixed.

> I buy higher level quadro graphics card (say FX 5600), will it improve the
> stereo quality? How big difference the prices are? Thanks for your

A better card won't improve the stereo quality itself, but will
improve surface, vdw, etc renderings with high polygon counts. For
building models, most people are looking at wireframes/lines which you
can still do for huge macromolecules on an SGI Octane. So yes, the
5600 will work with nvidia 3d vision, it has at least a G8x core
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_Quadro) and the stereo connector
in the back. If you decide to go with something like that Acer HS244HQ
it would be interesting to see if it can be made to work without the
nvidia 3d vision kit at all.

HTH,
Sabuj