Hi Pascal,

This document makes an attempt at an explanation, but in a somewhat obtuse
way: http://conventions.cnb.uam.es/References/maplib.html. The important
point is that the machine stamp is 4 bytes that are specific for the
architecture that wrote the file. For little endian hardware the stamp is
0x44, 0x41, 0x00, 0x00 while the big endian stamp is 0x11, 0x11, 0x00, 0x00.

Cheers

-- David