Choice #5: you can purchase a licensed version?
Petri

On Sep 21, 2011, at 4:38 PM, Pete Meyer wrote:

> For a fourth choice, you can do a stand-alone build of PyMOL and its
> dependencies with relatively little problem (at least on 10.6; haven't
> upgraded yet).
>
> Pete
>
> Xiaoguang Xue wrote:
>> As I know, you have 3 choices:
>> 1, You can apply a free educational-use-only MacPymol from the company,
>> Schrodinger, LLC. This is the easiest way, just move the MacPymol program
>> into your Program Folder.
>> 2,  I think you still can try to install Pymol by Fink. Just follow the wiki
>> page of Pymol.(http://www.pymolwiki.org/index.php/MAC_Install).  But there
>> is a compatible problem between Fink and Lion. There is a Lion upgrade notes
>> written by William
>> Scott(http://sage.ucsc.edu/~wgscott/xtal/wiki/index.php/Lion_upgrade_notes).
>> Maybe it can help you.
>> 3, If Fink doesn't work. I think you can try to use MacPorts. It looks like
>> there is no compatible problem between MacPorts and MacOS Lion. The install
>> process is very simple (http://www.macports.org/install.php). I found
>> MacPorts still contain Pymol package, also include apbs plugin. But there is
>> no other protein xtallography software packages, like CCP4 and coot. And It
>> is impossible to install MacPorts and Fink at the same time. So If you also
>> want install CCP4 or coot from source code, it will be very inconvenient.
>> Best!
>> Xiaoguang Xue
>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:04 AM, Mecy Shi
>> <mecy...@gmail.com<mailto:mecy...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>> Dear members,
>> I want to setup pymol in Mac OS X 10.7, but I didn't do this before.
>> Who can tell me how to setup and tell me the detail setup procedure.
>> and if need other programs to setup this.
>> Thank you very much!
>> --
>> Xiaoguang Xue, PhD student
>> Utrecht University
>> Crystal & Structural Chemistry
>> Padualaan 8. Room N807
>> 3584 CH Utrecht
>> The Netherlands
>> Tel. +31-30-253-2383

---
Petri Kursula, PhD
Group Leader, Docent of Neurobiochemistry
Department of Biochemistry, University of Oulu, Finland
Department of Chemistry, University of Hamburg, Germany
Visiting Scientist (CSSB-HZI, DESY, Hamburg, Germany)
www.biochem.oulu.fi/kursula
www.desy.de/~petri
petri.kurs...@oulu.fi
petri.kurs...@desy.de