On Sep 28, 2011, at 7:15 AM, Artem Evdokimov wrote:

> Are you indeed referring to the oil-filled high voltage transformer core in
> the older model generators?

Yes.

> (Newer ones tend to use solid state voltage multipliers).

That sounds much more sane.

> I recall that there were issues with those things that were
> eventually traced to elevated humidity. Now, that was humidity around 80%
> which should not be the case for most systems these days since most of us
> seem to prefer humidity controlled environments (for the sake of the
> cryostreams) but it might be worth checking some local leaks etc.

Well, I'm at DIY-U, so this very likely is a potential source of the problem.

We have to supply our own hamsters for the electrical generators, too.

> One more reason that the tank transformer might go bad would be inadequate
> matching between power input and drain, especially high-drain situation
> caused by an undetected high current (like a parasite current too weak to
> cause arcing, but strong enough to damage transformer over time). Did
> your/Rigaku's engineer check the voltages and currents in the tube tower? Do
> you have the option to record currents while no one is attending the
> instrument (in the even that the problem is intermittent)?

I don't think anything like that was ever done, but I am not sure.  We shipped
it back
to them, and they need more money to continue diagnosis, so we are probably
just going to cut our losses on this decade-long nightmare.

> Artem
> On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Patrick Loll <pat.l...@drexel.edu> wrote:
>
>> Bill,
>>
>> What do you mean by "high voltage tank"? When I hear this term, I think of
>> the oil- (and PCB-) filled tank housing the transformer on an old generator;
>> but there's nothing like that on the R-Axis. Do you mean the blue box
>> housing the detector controller? If so, then I can tell you that we've had
>> ours plugged into a 1000 VA UPS (APC Back UPS Pro) for 10 years, with never
>> a glitch (and I'm told that Philly power is not pretty).
>>
>> If instead you're referring to the high voltage tank on the generator, then
>> I have no idea of what to do (although replacing the power cable doesn't
>> sound like a bad idea)...you'd probably need to steal an entire 7-11 to pay
>> for a UPS large enough to condition power for that.
>>
>> Pat
>>
>> On 26 Sep 2011, at 10:15 PM, William G. Scott wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Citizens:
>>>
>>> We seem to run through high voltage tanks on our Raxis IV like guano goes
>> through a goose.  Has anyone else had this problem, and, more importantly,
>> what is the best way to protect them.  I am assuming it might have something
>> to do with our electrical supply, which is a bit unreliable.
>>>
>>> Also, does anyone have an extra used functional one they want to get rid
>> of?  We've run out of 7-11s to rob to pay for this, and our friendly and
>> helpful radiation safety staff think the best way to deal with this problem
>> is to hack apart the power cable, so it is a current (so to speak) source of
>> frustration.
>>>

>>> Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>> Bill
>>>

>>> William G. Scott
>>> Professor
>>> Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
>>> and The Center for the Molecular Biology of RNA
>>> 228 Sinsheimer Laboratories
>>> University of California at Santa Cruz
>>> Santa Cruz, California 95064
>>> USA