To me, the key question would seem to be, if I can't win them all, how many
more do I win if I go to the trouble?

Brent

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Tim Keys
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 8:29 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] is codon optimization worth it?

We codon optimised a poorly expressed gene from neisseria meningitides based on
a codon usage table derived from the Welch (etal, 2009) paper below. The
optimisation is specifically for overexpression in BL21 (DE3). The optimised
gene increased protein expression by at least a factor of 10, and changed
(somewhat reduced) the degradation pattern we observed. Unfortunately it didn't
do anything to improve the folding (ie. we ended up with lots of half-folded,
semi-soluble protein).

With other neisserial derived proteins we have had an almost undetectable
effect.

You can't win 'em all.

Cheers,
Tim

Design Parameters to Control Synthetic Gene Expression in Escherichia coli
Welch et al, PlosONE 2009

Medizinische Hochschule Hannover
Zelluläre Chemie, OE 4330
Zentrum Biochemie