Hi,

I am trying to calculate real-space R-factors and correlation coefficients for
an array of different ligand conformations to find out which fits best in
experimental density.  So far, I have been trying to use Overlapmap in CCP4
6.1.2 to do this, by correlating maps by residue and selecting the list a
real-space R-factor option.  I would like to compare a map with the ligand
omitted to maps calculated with each ligand conformer.

I am supplying Overlapmap with a refmac mtz file calculated without ligand in
the model for map 1 and a pdb file that contains both protein and ligand
coordinates to calculate map 2.  However, I’m confused about the output.  For
the protein, which I know is well-defined and modeled correctly in the density,
I see mostly reasonable correlation coefficients, ~0.9, but the real-space
R-factor values are all over the place and range from zero to hundreds.  For
example, for one residue the correlation coefficient is 0.8309 with an R-factor
of 210.333.  I am very confused about how to interpret these values.  Has
anyone else tried to use Overlap for a similar purpose and could give
suggestions as to what I’m doing wrong?  Thanks!

Brigitte