I can think of at least one good reason: you might want to optimise
the weights using different starting values.  In that case there's no
need to look at the maps until the end.  But as Eleanor says you can
always delete them.  I would do the weight optimisation with a
customised script, so this wouldn't be a problem anyway.

Cheers

-- Ian