This is not trivial. Assuming an arbitrary origin, the simplest 4-fold symmetry
operation (4-fold rotation) has 5 free parameters (translation along the
symmetry axis is irrelevant). The biggest problem is determining the values for
these parameters. For example, once you apply the symmetry, your molecule may
clash with its symmetry mates or not even contact them. And even if you solve
this latter problem automatically (which is not trivial because of
irregularity), that leaves a net of 3 parameters describing the orientation of
the protomer.

James