I probably it depends on whether you've got gunk or a functionally relevant
oligomer in that void volume.  Is it active?

RecA and Rad51 both form open-ended head-to-tail oligomers and yet they still
crystallize.

Phoebe A. Rice
Dept. of Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
The University of Chicago
phone 773 834 1723
http://bmb.bsd.uchicago.edu/Faculty_and_Research/01_Faculty/01_Faculty_Alphabetically.php?faculty_id=123
http://www.rsc.org/shop/books/2008/9780854042722.asp