From: "Bernhard Rupp (Hofkristallrat a.D.)" <hofkristall...@gmail.com>
To: "Michael Thompson" <mi...@chem.ucla.edu>, CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Sent: Monday, March 12, 2012 12:48:42 PM GMT -08:00 US/Canada Pacific
Subject: RE: [ccp4bb] Matthews coeff. from model

> I can't imagine the results would be very different for protein-DNA vs.
> protein-RNA.

The reason protein-nucleic acids is an extra category in mattprob is largely
due to poorer statistics
resulting from limited sample size and hence no reliable resolution dependence
can be computed.

In addition the partial specific volumes for protein (0.74 cm3/g) and nucleic
acids (0.50 cm3/g) are
different, so an exact calculation needs to consider their ratio to obtain the
correct psv estimate

BR